Friday, December 26, 2014

Overnight French Toast Casserole Recipe

I posted on Instagram about my overnight French Toast casserole. A couple of people asked about a recipe. So I decided to dedicate a post to it to share with everyone.

I really love making this dish for Christmas morning, for the guys at work, or on a rare occasion at home. It's such a rich dish, that I don't like to make it all the time. However it is always a hit when I do make it.

It does require a bit of planning in advance. As you make it the night before and let it sit in the fridge overnight. I also find that getting the bread a day or so on advance that it helps as well. My favorite is an Italian loaf, which I get from my local store's bakery.

So what you need:

1 loaf of bread (cut or torn into cubes)
1/2 cup of melted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon (or apple pie spice)

5 eggs
1 1/2 cup of milk (I use buttermilk, but you can use regular)
1 tsp vanilla


Cut or tear bread into cubes. Mix your dry ingredients (sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon) in one bowl. Whisk your wet ingredients (milk, eggs and vanilla) into another bowl. Take your melted butter and coat a 13 x 9 baking pan.

Take half of your bread cubes, layer the bottom of your pan. Then take half of your dry mixture and sprinkle over the bread cubes. Take the other half of your bread cubes and layer on top of the first layer. Sprinkle the remaining dry mixture on top. Pour the wet mixture on top.

Then cover the casserole with tin foil. Set in the fridge overnight.

Next morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lift up the corners on the tin foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Then remove the tin foil, and bake for another 15 minutes uncovered.

Lastly (and this is optional) sprinkle the top with powered sugar. The dish is sweet, but is also very delicious with maple syrup.


Enjoy!



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails